What is a cookie?
A cookie is a text file safe that is stored in your browser when you visit almost any website. The usefulness of the cookie is the website to be able to remember your visit next time you browse that page. Although many people do not know the cookies have been in use for 20 years, when the first browser for the World Wide Web.
What is NOT a cookie?
It is not a virus or a Trojan or a worm, or spam, no spyware, no pop-up window opens.
What information stores a cookie?
The cookies not often store sensitive information about you, such as credit card or bank account information, photographs, your identity card or personal information, etc. The data stored are technical, personal preferences, personalized content, etc.
The web server does not associate you as a person if your web browser. In fact, if you usually browse with Internet Explorer and try browsing the same web with Firefox or Chrome will see that the web does not realize that you are the same person because it really is partnering with the browser, not the person.
What kind of cookies there?
- Cookies techniques: These are the most basic and allow, among other things, to know is when browsing a human or an automated application, when an anonymous user navigates and one registered basic tasks to run any dynamic web.
- Cookies analysis: Collect information on the type of navigation is performing, most used sections, reference numbers, time slot of use, language, etc.
- Cookies ad: show advertising based on your browsing, their country of origin, language, etc.
What are the cookies own and those of others?
The own cookies are generated by the page you are visiting and the third are generated by internal or external providers such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
What happens if I disable the cookies?
To understand the extent you may have to disable the cookies shows some examples:
- You can not share content from that page on Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
- The web site will not adapt content to their personal preferences, as often happens in online shops.
- can not access the personal area of the web, such as My account or My Profile or My orders.
- Online Shopping: It will be impossible to make purchases online, will be calling or visiting the physical store if you have one
- It will not be possible to customize your geographic preferences as time zone, currency or language.
- The website can not perform web analytics on visitors and web traffic, making it difficult to be competitive anywhere.
- You can not blogging, you can not upload photos, post comments, value or rate content. The web may not know whether you are a human or an automated application that publishes spam.
- There may display advertising, which will reduce advertising revenue on the web.
Can I remove cookies?
Yes. Not only remove, also block, general or particular to a specific domain.
To remove the cookies of a website must go to the settings of your browser and there you can find the associated domain in question and proceed to its elimination.
Settings cookies to the polulares browsers.
Here‘s how to access a particular cookie Chrome browser. Note: These steps may vary depending on the browser version:
- Go to Settings or Preferences using the File menu or by clicking the icon customization that appears top right.
- You will see different sections, click the Show Advanced Options option.
- Go to Privacy Settings content.
- Select All cookies and site data.
- Lists all cookies ordered by domain appears. To make it easier to find the cookies of a specific domain partially or fully enter the address in the search field cookies.
- After making this filter will appear on the screen one or more lines with the requested Web cookies. Now just select it and press X to proceed with removal.
To access the cookie settings in Internet Explorer follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Tools, Internet Options
- Click on Privacy.
- Move the slider to adjust the level of privacy you want.
To access settings Firefox browser cookies follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Options or Preferences for your operating system.
- Click on Privacy.
- In History select Use custom settings for history.
- Now you will see the Accept Cookies option, you can enable or disable your preference.
To access the settings of the Safari browser cookies OSX follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Settings, then Privacy.
- Here you can see the Block cookies to fit the type of lock to perform.
To access the cookie settings of the Safari browser for iOS follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Settings, then Safari.
- You go to Privacy & Security, see the Block cookies to fit the type of lock to perform.
To access the browser cookie settings for Android devices follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Run the browser and press Menu, then Settings button.
- Go to Security and Privacy, see the Accept cookies option to select or clear the check box.
To access the browser cookie settings for Windows Phone devices follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Open Internet Explorer, then More, then Settings
- Now you can enable or disable the Allow cookies.